Thursday, September 9, 2010

My favorite book this week

 
  I came across Imogene's Last Stand one day this summer at the wonderful Secret Garden Bookshop in Ballard.  The story follows the young, feisty, and passionate history-buff Imogene in her struggle to save the historical society building that has been abandoned and unappreciated by her New Hampshire town.  I loved this story immediately, especially for its unique incorporation of famous quotes from important historical figures.  I actually got chills while reading about Imogene's efforts to stand up for what she believes in, fight for a cause close to her heart, and ultimately prove that even the young and small can make a difference.  Seeing this kind of strong, independent female lead character was so heartening, I bought the book the second I finished it!  An inspiring read for girls (and boys!) of any age and one I think is great for a classroom. 
  I'd love to hear about other's favorite picture books you're into right now as well...

No comments:

Post a Comment