Monday, December 2, 2013

Love the Last Line...

My uncle the voracious (understatement) reader emailed me today:
 
 
"Jess,
    I'm attaching a letter I've written to your cousin, Christiana.  I'm sending her a copy of Orwell's 1984, a copy in which I've made extensive margin notes.  Of course, I'll put a twenty dollar bill in with the letter on p. 112, but I'm wondering if this is even appropriate.  I think she's a reader. I know she likes The Hunger Games.  But I was fifteen when I first read 1984 and I think it's time she read something other than fluff. Am I pushing too hard, d'ya think?  I really have no idea what a girl of fifteen thinks about these days. But you know me and books.  I want to give her a fighting chance in life.
    Thanks,
Uncle John"
 
I always believe in giving kids books that will challenge them and broaden their horizons. The right book at a pivotal moment in young adulthood can be life changing, and that is a magical and powerful thing. What a gift. Books give us a fighting chance in life. I'd have to agree wholeheartedly.


No comments:

Post a Comment