Thursday, August 12, 2010

Treasured Tales

 
  Reading Peter Rabbit with Nellie this morning made me remember how much I loved the world of Beatrix Potter as a child.  I adored Flopsy, Mopsy and Cottontail, Mr Jeremy Fisher, Jemima Puddle Duck, Squirrel Nutkin (such wonderful animal names :) and of course Peter, but for some reason it was the little mouse Hunca Munca that captivated me the most.  In The Tale of Two Bad Mice Tom Thumb and Hunca Munca discover a doll's house and cause quite a ruckus attempting to eat the food and steal the furniture, not realizing that it's all made of plastic.  I remember being so delighted by this story as a child, probably because I had a doll house of my own and thought how funny it would be to have such visitors.  I love how great characters are ageless and can be appreciated and beloved by new generations.

My Victorian dollhouse, built by my Dad and Papa, decorated by Mom and Grandma, enjoyed endlessly by me throughout my childhood 

No comments:

Post a Comment